Skip to main content

Becoming a Hybrid (Traditional and Indie) Author Guest Post by AJ Waines

In 2015, AJ Waines topped the UK and Australian Kindle Charts with her number one bestseller, Girl on a Train. She is now a full-time novelist, after fifteen years as a Psychotherapist, with publishing deals in France, Germany (Penguin Random House) and USA (audiobook).

Also in 2015, she was featured in The Wall Street Journal and The Times and was ranked in the Top 20 authors on UK Amazon KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing). Her new chilling thriller, No Longer Safe, is released on 4 Feb 2016.


1. How did you start out as an author?

Like many writers, my path hasn’t been straightforward! In 2009, I was burnt out as a Psychotherapist after fifteen years, so I had a go at writing a psychological thriller. Within the same week in 2010, I managed to land a top literary agent just after a small UK publisher made an offer on that first novel, but the agency advised me to turn it down. As it happened, the book didn’t attract a big-name publisher, so I wrote two more novels before my agent and I parted company.

My new agent sent out the two new manuscripts, Girl on a Train and The Evil Beneath, and we got a pre-empt in France and a two-book deal in Germany. Apparently, it’s very rare to secure overseas deals before getting published in the home language. It wasn’t planned! I think timing was partly an issue. I had a few near-misses in the UK, with several publishers saying they would have snapped up the books if they’d been offered before the financial crash! Bittersweet comments.

2. Have the deals abroad been valuable to you?

Traditional deals involve advances, so it’s good to have some financial security, up front. Of course, you then have to earn out your advance, before you get any royalties. I’ve been pleasantly surprised, however, to sell over 40,000 copies of The Evil Beneath in translation through a book club in France – and I didn’t do any publicity or marketing for that; it was all down to the publisher.

3. So, with your first traditional deals gained in Europe, how did you approach the UK market?

When the novels weren’t picked up in the UK, my agent suggested White Glove – a new programme where authors with agents put their books on to Amazon and get special promotion opportunities. We went for this and it worked well for me.

4. How did you find a market for your books? Was it difficult when thousands of new novels are being added to Amazon every week?

The main issue, as you suggest, is getting noticed without any publisher’s publicity or marketing! There was no book launch or any advance promotion for those first books, so I was advised to ‘build a platform’. Suddenly, I had to switch from being ‘anonymous’ as a therapist to being ‘in the spotlight’ as a writer. I started a blog, wrote features for other sites, set up an author profile on Goodreads, began Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, a newsletter etc, and started to build a small readership that way.

It was a real shift in mentality, but the biggest barrier for any writer – even if you’re published traditionally – is making your book stand out above all the other books out there. But, sometimes a simple article can unexpectedly lead to great things. I wrote a piece this autumn, about book titles for an online site which was seen by a journalist from The Wall Street Journal. He interviewed me and published a feature, which was then followed up by The Times and The Independent on Sunday. This led to an audiobook deal in the US, so you just never know.

5. What do you need to be most aware of as an Indie writer in the UK?

My situation is complicated, as I’ve got two books on the White Glove scheme and also two new ones on Amazon that my agent suggested I publish myself. So, in all, I have three types of publishing: Agent-managed, Indie and Traditional - and there are plus sides and downsides to all of them!

For the White Glove scheme, agents’ approaches vary considerably and some will format and convert the e-book for you, pay for cover design and copy-editing, etc – but others don’t foot the bill. Invariably, I need to do all the marketing and publicity, because an agent doesn’t have the time or resources to actively sell the book. The agent does have control of the account, however – they ‘manage’ the book entirely; change the pricing, manage the meta-data, arrange promotions etc and they take a commission on royalties.

Some agents are more proactive than others – mine is very good - at keeping the books in the limelight with promotions and special deals. I went to number one in the UK and Australian Kindle chart due to a special deal my agent set up and I sold 30,000 copies of both White Glove books in the first six months of this year, so they’re doing a great job! Agents seem less likely to want to manage the Print on Demand versions (CreateSpace) as the Amazon royalties are so low, so I manage all these myself.   

6. Are you still hoping for a traditional UK publisher?

It’s an interesting question and a few years ago, I would have said yes, absolutely. Now, I think it would have to be the right deal. It used to be the case that once an author got a publisher, it was for life, but now, even authors who get a two or three-book deal are finding themselves back to square one if the books don’t sell as well as hoped.

My traditional foreign deals seem to involve spin-off imprints, so they can be lucrative, but some authors are actively choosing to self-publish because the royalties are better. It also depends on whether you have your heart set on seeing your books in a high street store or in libraries. Despite not getting a UK publisher, I’ve been very lucky with sales.

7. What has it been like to produce the last two books, Dark Place to Hide and No Longer Safe, entirely on your own?

The nice thing is that I’m not actually alone - I have a great ‘Team’ around me, including a cover designer, copy editor, proofreaders, beta-readers, reviewers and so on. My agent has confirmed that the books are ‘commercial’, but they aren’t involved, so I project-manage everything from start to finish, together with the online accounts, launches and publicity. It’s a lot of work, but it’s been great to know I’ve done the whole thing myself – I even managed the ebook formatting on the latest one, No Longer Safe!

8. What advice would you give to a new author, Indie or Traditional?

Promotion is really key – I see it as an essential part of a writer’s life - as well as a cracking novel, of course! Books are no longer only found in bookshops, so I think it’s more or less par for the course now, that new writers have an online presence, traditionally published, or not. Appearances at festivals, libraries and book-signings are time-consuming, so I focus entirely on online publicity. No writer who wants to be successful can afford to release a book without all the whistles and bells that go with it. Learn from authors you admire – that’s what I did. I tracked what other writers in the same genre were doing to get themselves known and then set up the aspects I liked, for myself. It’s quite refreshing to put up a review on Goodreads or a guest post on my blog amidst the rigours of daily writing. It’s also incredibly rewarding and touching when readers get in touch and I try to respond to every message, if I can.

v

 AJ Waines lives in Southampton, UK, with her husband. Visit her website and blog, or follow her on Twitter and Facebook.  Her new chilling thriller, No Longer Safe, is launched today 4 Feb 2016. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Guest Post from Author Samantha Tonge on Her New Novella

How to Get Hitched in Ten Days is my first novella and the story just flew onto the page. It is a tale of friendship, unrequited love and about turning around the challenges that occasionally strike us all as we go through life. Mikey helps the boyfriend of his best friend and flat mate, Jasmine, turn around a disastrous Valentine’s Day proposal. Early reviews are coming in and I am thrilled that many readers are reacting to Mikey in the way I intended – they all love him and wish he was part of their lives.   As one reviewer,   Coffeeholic Bookworm says: “  I want some Mikey in my life! Mikey isn’t your typical hero. He’s soft, fluffy, sensitive and yummy. His friendship with Jasmine was admirable. He’s a keeper ” Do you have a best friend? Someone you can turn to in your hour of need?   I think I created this character because, apart from my lovely husband, I don’t. And sometimes life gets difficult. You don’t necessarily want to burden your family or partner with

Need A Little Time by Adam Eccles, A Review

Sometimes, the strangest things can happen, right on your doorstep. When you find out your best friend and business partner is secretly sleeping with your wife, it may be time to move on.... From your job and your marriage.... Which is precisely what happened to Jamie Newgent. A change of lifestyle is what’s needed, and a bachelor pad on the fourth floor of a jutting tower provides a new home, a fresh start, and a new chapter in his life. Little does he know of the weird and wonderful journey he’s about to take, or the effects a temporal rift has on the building plumbing and his troublesome toaster. He’s living in the middle of an anomaly sandwich, with a retro woman upstairs, and a feisty hippy downstairs. But will either of them become anything more than friends? And, If it came down to it, would he be able to make the ultimate sacrifice to save a life: Could he go back to an era before the internet and smartphones? This story was a great little adventure that didn't cause me tre

Thinkerbeat Guest Post

Welcome to the Thinkerbeat Anthology Interview Q: What inspired you to start publishing? A: I wrote my first story when I was really young. I used to sit with a typewriter and clunk away at the keys for hours. I’d make a lot of mistakes, but I kept trying. Later, I started sending stories out for publication. I got a lot of rejections, just like everyone does. In college I studied the music business and learned about managing talent. I also played around with the idea of becoming a computer programmer, but my creative side won out and I spent a number of years working in the music business. Down the road, I got an offer to write a children’s book for a publisher. I thought, well, 500 words, how hard can that be? It took me months to finish it. You spend more time describing the illustrations on the page than you do putting words on the page. The staff editor was never happy and we disagreed on a lot of things. But I learned from him. I also kept in mind that if I didn’